Recognizing & Facing Your Houston DUI Charge Pt 1

DUI Law Texas - Butler Law Firm - The Houston DWI Lawyer

Is It Possible To Move Out Of State After A DUI Arrest?

Part 1

It commonly happens that someone is arrested on DUI charges right before their big move to a new state. Without a doubt, being arrested and dealing with criminal charges and the imminent driver’s license suspension can be incredibly stressful and not to mention disruptive to your relocation plans. Fortunately, by getting an experienced Houston DUI defense attorney involved as soon as possible, you will get peace of mind knowing that you have someone local who can effectively handle your DUI, while you proceed with your plans uninterrupted.

Keep in mind that even if you move to a new state after a DUI arrest, you will still need to deal with the criminal court case, and complete probation requirements and driver’s license restrictions for your license to be reinstated. This is why it is crucial that you consult an experienced Houston DUI attorney who will help you understand what you need to do before leaving, ways an attorney can help with your case while you are away, and how to resolve your DUI without the inconvenience of having to return to Texas numerous times.

Don’t Try To Ignore The DUI

Regardless of your reason for the planned move, whether it is to start a new job or to pursue some other opportunity, the last thing you’d want to do after getting a DUI in Houston is to ignore the arrest and the pending criminal charges. Even if you will be many states away, your driver’s license suspension back in Texas is bound to follow you to the new state and you will most likely be unable to obtain a new license.

In addition, by choosing to ignore court dates while you have a pending criminal case you run the risk of having an arrest warrant being issued against you. Besides incurring penalties for failure to appear (FTA), at some point, you are likely to have an encounter with law enforcement in another state, whether it is at the airport or a traffic stop and they will discover that there is a warrant out for your arrest.

Is It Possible To Have Your Driver’s License Reinstated Before You Move Out Of State?

First, it is important to note that, in addition to criminal charges, you also face administrative consequences with the DMV. Typically, once you’ve been arrested for DUI, the police will confiscate your license and issue a temporary one that will only be valid for 30 days. Once these 30 days are over, you will lose your driving privileges.

However, there is a way you delay and even avoid a license suspension – requesting a formal administrative per se suspension (APS) hearing from the DMV within 10 days. Your attorney can do this on your behalf and appear at the hearing so you don’t have to. This way, you may be able to keep your license from being suspended allowing you to continue with your plans.

We also invite you to contact us or call us today if you are in need of the best DWI Law Attorney in Houston. Click here for the second article in this series. Visit our blog for more related articles.