Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is a severe offense in Houston, Texas. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or higher. The penalties for DWI can be severe and life-changing. Therefore, it is crucial to hire a reputable DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, to represent you if you find yourself in such a situation. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide for hiring a DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, including what a DWI is to choose the right DWI lawyer for your case.
Understanding DWI in Houston TX
DWI stands for “driving while intoxicated”, and it refers to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In Houston, Texas, it is illegal to operate a vehicle with a BAC of 0.08% or higher. A DWI charge can have severe consequences, that include fines, license suspension, and even jail time.
Is DWI a Felony in Houston TX?
In Texas, a DWI charge will become a felony or a misdemeanor, depending on the circumstances. A first-time DWI offense is typically a Class B misdemeanor, but it can be elevated to a Class A misdemeanor if certain aggravating factors are present. A third DWI offense can be charged as a third-degree felony.
The Role of a DWI Lawyer in Houston TX
A DWI lawyer in Houston TX, is a legal professional who specializes in defending clients charged with DWI offenses. A professional DWI lawyer can help you understand the charges against you, develop a defense strategy, and negotiate with prosecutors to reduce your penalties.
Factors to Consider When Hiring a DWI Lawyer in Houston TX
When hiring a DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, you should consider the following factors:
- Communication: Make sure the lawyer communicates clearly and promptly.
- Experience: Look for a lawyer with experience handling DWI cases in Houston, Texas.
- Fees: Ask about the lawyer’s fees upfront and make sure they are reasonable.
- Reputation: Check online reviews and ask for referrals from friends or family members.
How to Find a Reputable DWI Lawyer in Houston TX
There are several ways to find a reputable DWI lawyer in Houston TX:
- Referrals: Ask friends, family members, or colleagues if they know of any good DWI lawyers in Houston.
- Online Search: Search for “DWI lawyers in Houston Texas” online and read reviews.
- Local Bar Association: Contact the local bar association and ask for a referral.
What to Expect During Your First Meeting with a DWI Lawyer in Houston Texas
During your first meeting with a DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, you can expect to discuss the following:
- Your charges: Provide your lawyer with details about your charges and arrest.
- Defense Strategy: Discuss possible defense strategies for your case.
- Communication: Agree on a communication plan, including how often you will communicate and through what methods.
- Fees: Ask about the lawyer’s fees and payment structure.
How Long Does a DWI Stay on Your Record in Houston TX?
In Houston, Texas, a DWI conviction will remain on your criminal record permanently. However, you may be eligible for an expunction or nondisclosure if certain conditions are met.
Difference Between DWI and DUI in Houston TX
In Houston, Texas, DWI and DUI are two separate offenses. DWI means “driving while intoxicated,” while DUI means “driving under the influence.” The primary difference between the two offenses is the age of the driver. DWI applies to drivers who are 21 years or older, while DUI applies to drivers under the age of 21.
Common Defenses Used in DWI Cases in Houston TX
There are several defenses that a DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, can use to fight your charges, including:
- Lack of probable cause: If the police did not have a valid reason to pull you over, your lawyer may argue that the evidence against you should be suppressed.
- Inaccurate BAC results: Your lawyer may challenge the accuracy of the breathalyzer or blood test results.
- Improper field sobriety tests: Your lawyer may argue that the field sobriety tests were not administered correctly or that the results were misinterpreted.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions can affect the accuracy of a breathalyzer test.
A DWI charge in Houston, Texas, can have severe consequences, and it is crucial to hire a qualified DWI lawyer to help you. When hiring a lawyer, consider their experience, reputation, communication skills, and of course fees. During your first meeting with your lawyer, tell everything about your DWI charge, discuss possible defense strategies, and agree on a communication plan. Remember, a DWI conviction will remain on your record permanently, but a skilled DWI lawyer can help you minimize the consequences.
A DWI charge in Houston, Texas, is a serious matter that can have significant consequences. Hiring a reputable DWI lawyer is crucial in navigating the legal process and protecting your rights. A skilled DWI lawyer can help you understand the charges against you, develop a defense strategy, and negotiate with prosecutors to minimize the penalties you may face.
When looking for a DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, it is important to consider factors such as communication, experience, fees, and reputation. Referrals from friends, online searches, and contacting the local bar association can be helpful in finding a reputable lawyer.
DWI Lawyer In Houston TX - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
DWI applies to drivers who are 21 years or older, while DUI applies to drivers under the age of 21.
The penalties for a DWI in Houston, Texas, can include fines, license suspension, and even jail time.
You have the right to refuse a breathalyzer or blood test in Houston, Texas, but there may be consequences, such as license suspension.
It is essential to hire a DWI lawyer as soon as possible after your arrest to give them enough time to prepare your defense.
You may be eligible for an expunction or nondisclosure if you meet certain conditions, such as completing a probationary period or being acquitted of the charges.